- Yield: 4 servings
- ½ lb beef chuck; cut bite size
- ¼ lb beef tripe; soak in vinegar,
- ½ lb ta-kuong (water spinach); remove leaves, use stalks;cut 2" lengths
- 4 cups water
- 1 red bell pepper; seeded,
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ cup lemon grass; minced
- 4 garlic cloves; minced
- 4 kaffir lime leaves; minced
- 1 tbsp galang powder
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp guava paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 chile peppers, hot; chopped
- 1 tbsp pickled fish, creamy style
- ¼ cup basil leaves; chopped
- pepper, black, ground
- Place tripe in soup pot, cover with water and cook 20 minutes.
- Drain and rinse, cut in bite size pieces.
- Set aside.
- Combine garlic, lemon grass, galang, turmeric, lime leaves and chile pepper.
- Crush in mortor or use blender with 1 cup water.
- Set aside.
- Add oil and spice mix to hot soup pot.
- Stir in beef and beef tripe.
- Season with sugar, fish sauce, guava paste and pepper to taste.
- Stir often, adding water as needed.
- When the meat is tender, add water spinach and bell pepper.
- Add creamy pickle and lemon juice.
- Adjust taste to suit - more sugar for sweeter, more pickle for saltier, more lemon juice for tartness.
- Sprinkle with basil leaves and hot chile pepper, serve with plain rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.