- 12 cups flour
- 1˝ cups lard or margarine (boiling)
- 6 whole eggs
- ˝ cup Sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2ź cups lukewarm water (more or less)
- Sift the flour in a bowl and add the boiling lard or margarine. Mix quickly with a wood spoon. Let it cool for a few minutes and add the eggs, the Sugar and lukewarm water with salt. Knead until getting a dry dough. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let it rest for ten minutes.
- Divide all the dough into fifty small balls and thin them out one by one with a roller, until getting round-shaped pieces (about ź of and inch thick by 5 inches of diameter).
- On each round-shaped piece put a spoonful of the filling with the olive, raisins and egg, if these ingredients were not mixed before.
- Dampen the edges of each piece with water, fold each one and join the edges very well so that each salteńa is closed perfectly. Leave the closing on top.
- Put salteńas, on a backing sheet sprinkled with flour. Place each salteńa separate from the next one. Bake them at a high temperature (European oven: 300 C.; American oven 572 F.) between seven to ten minutes. Serve them warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.