Cold beet soup
- vegetable broth
- sour cream or buttermilk
- salt to taste
- potatoes, cooked, chilled and diced
- cucumbers, seeded and diced
- fresh dill, for garnish
- Prepare an all-purpose vegetable broth by boiling assorted vegetables, herbs/spices (such as bay and peppercorns) in lightly salted water.
- Use celery and carrot tops, onion root ends, and other vegetables left over from preparing other dishes.
- Boil beets in broth until soft.
- Remove beets from water.
- Peel and grate the beets coarsely.
- Strain broth.
- Add vinegar, sugar and sour cream or buttermilk to the beet water.
- Adjust the amount of salt needed at this time.
- Return beets to the broth.
- Chill well.
- To serve, place chilled diced potatoes and diced, seeded cucumbers in soup bowls.
- Pour soup over the potatoes and cucumbers.
- Garnish with dill (fresh, chopped or dried).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.