This is an easy tropical dish that is full of flavor! I like to serve it with chips, or as a side dish. It would be easy to try slightly different versions by adding lime juice, ginger, pineapple, or jalapenos, depending on your personal taste. If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them! Thanks!
- 5 cups masa harina flour
- 4 cups water, approximately
- 16 – 24 ounces canned refried beans
- 3 cups soft white cheese
- light vegetable oil or light olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, gradually stir water into masa harina until dough forms a ball that can be handled.
- Into another bowl, empty the refried beans.
- Place the grated cheese into a separate bowl.
- Divide dough into about 25 pieces.
- Roll each into a ball and flatten between the palms of your hands to about ½-inch thick.
- Put a spoonful of beans and a small handful of cheese into the center of each pupusa.
- Flatten again with the filling inside.
- Heat a heavy, wide-bottomed or flat skillet until hot.
- Brush with oil and cook pupusas on each side 4 – 5 minutes until a pale golden-brown.
- The outside should be firm.