- Ethnicity - South Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
Ingredients 'A' Edit
- ½ bitter gourd (pavakkai)
- 1 brinjal (egg plant)
- 1 drum stick
- 4 ladies finger
- 4 red chillies (split into 2)
Ingredients 'B' Edit
Ingredients 'C' Edit
- size of a golf ball tamarind
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp asafoetida powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp grated molasses
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
Ingredients 'D' Edit
Ingredients 'E' Edit
Ingredients 'F' Edit
- a few coriander leaves
- Clean the vegetables and slice into long pieces.
- Wash the dal.
- Boil 3 cups of water and cook dal in it. Add turmeric powder and curry leaves into the dal. Keep it aside.
- Fry the ingredients D in ½ tsp coconut oil. Grind it to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Mash the tamarind in 1 cup water and strain.
- Boil the tamarind water with red chilli powder, salt, curry leaves, asafoetida and molasses.
- When it boils, add 2tbs of coconut oil. Add the vegetables except the ladies finger into it. Cook till done and add the prepared dal into it.
- Bring to a boil and add the ladies finger and the ground masalas. Remove from fire after boiling.
- Season with mustard seeds and dried chillies. Sprinkle the Sambar with chopped coriander leaves.
- Note: Various vegetables like potato, carrot, radish, tomato etc can also be added to the sambar.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.