This recipe is for 4 servings.
- 1 pinch saffron, soaked in 2 tbsp rose water
- ½ cup almonds, pulverized with ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ to 1½ tbsp ground cardamom
- Combine the filling ingredients (saffron, rosewater, almonds, ⅓ cup sugar, and cardamom).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease 1 or 2 baking sheets.
- Cut the defrosted filo strips 2½ to 3 inches wide, stacking and covering with a slightly dampened towel to prevent drying.
- Lay 3 to 4 strips on your work surface and brush lightly with melted butter.
- Layer a second strip on top of each.
- Place a tablespoon of the filling toward the bottom right-hand corner of each strip.
- Fold that corner diagonally over to the top left-hand corner, forming a triangle.
- As you fold, be certain that the side of the strip lines up perfectly with the folded portion.
- Then fold straight up.
- Continue as if folding a flag, alternately folding the bottom corners in a diagonal pattern and up.
- Place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Brush the tops of the pastries lightly with a bit of egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.