- chicken stock (1½ quarts)
- 1 yucca, peeled and cut into 1"x1"x1" pieces
- 2 plantains, peeled, halved, and sliced into thirds longitudinally
- 2 red potatoes, peeling optional, cut into chunks
- 3 whole chicken breast, skinned and quartered with bones left on.
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 bunch cilantro
- In one cup of chicken stock, simmer scallions, cilantro, and cumin for a few minutes.
- In the remaining 1¼ quarts of chicken stock, simmer the quartered, skinned chicken breasts.
- As the chicken starts to simmer, add cut-up, peeled yucca, and cut-up potatoes.
- You may continue to skim off scum after the yucca and potatoes are in the soup.
- About a half hour from completion time, add cut-up plaintains.
- 10 minutes before completion time, add the processed scallions-cilantro-cumin, and the juice from 2 lemons.
- Add roux to "bind" the soup, stirring to mix it well.
- Make sure the potatoes and yucca are cooked to softness, and examine a piece of chicken to check for doneness.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.