Beans, Great Northern Dry by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: 4
- ⅔ cup dry great northern beans
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¾ cup-15.5 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 whole tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup water
- Soak beans using quick soak method and cook according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Pour oil in a skillet; Add onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, beans, basil, oregano, pepper, and water.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Optional: Add bean mixture to rice or noodles.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.