- 2 lbs pork cubed
- 1½ lbs sauerkraut, rinse and drained
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp lard or oil (if meat is very lean)
- 2 tbsp Hungarian sweet paprika (no generic please)
- 1 large can of crushed tomato (or fresh tomatoes peeled and crushed)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of water
- ½ pint of sour cream (no yogurt please)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the meat and onion (in lard or oil if needed) in a pot with lid.
- Add the paprika to the meat and Onion mix, stir to mix in (do not burn).
- Put in the drained sauerkraut, crushed tomatoes, bay leaves and Sugar. Mix. Cover pot.
- Cook slowly for about one hour, or until meat is tender.
- Add the sour cream and stir it in.
- The aroma will make your mouth water.
- Serve in soup plates, with good crusty bread, a meal fit for the Kaiser.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.