This recipe came from the Hartman Estate Sale. It was obtained it as part of the purchase of the Family Collection from the Hartman Estate in Arlington, Texas in 1984.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- ½ pound rolled sausage
- 1 cup potato cubes
- 1 cup dried lima beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups water divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small white onion chopped
- dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Place beans and 5 cups water in large saucepan then bring to a boil over high heat and remove from heat.
- Let stand covered for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile crumble sausage into a medium skillet and add onion.
- Cook over medium heat until sausage is lightly browned stirring occasionally.
- Drain off any drippings.
- Add sausage mixture and remaining 2 cups of water to beans and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low then simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Stir in milk, potatoes, salt, black pepper and cayenne then simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.