- 2½ lbs small Yukon Gold potatoes, rinsed (and peeled if desired)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 8 oz pkg. soy “sausage” links, thawed if frozen, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup low-fat milk or soy milk, heated
- 1 tsp butter or margarine
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Add potatoes and salt and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, sugar and thyme and cook, stirring often, until onion slices are golden.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, wine and soy sauce.
- Simmer until thickened, stirring continuously.
- Add “sausage” to gravy and simmer until heated through.
- Drain and rinse potatoes; mash with potato masher.
- Add warm milk and butter and whip potatoes with hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve mashed potatoes topped with gravy and “sausages”.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.