This recipe is for 6 servings.
- 1 eggplant
- extra virgin olive oil
- 10 oz can tomatoes with liquid
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp mashed garlic
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Cut stem off eggplant.
- Remove strips of skin with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into ¼" thick slices.
- Spread on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with lots of salt.
- Put in a colander and set aside for 4 hours.
- Rinse well and drain.
- Heat oil in skillet and fry eggplant slices over a high heat till they are golden brown on all sides.
- Pour off all but 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Mash tomatoes with a fork and put into skillet.
- Simmer, stirring often, 5 to 10 minutes, until they form a thin sauce.
- Blend in tomato paste and water.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Stir in garlic and vinegar and remove from heat.
- Arrange eggplant slices on a serving dish and pour over sauce.
- Serve warm as part of a buffet.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.