- 1 rabbit, cut into portions
- 3 medium slices streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- large sprig each fresh rosemary and sage chopped
- 2 glasses white wine
- 400 g / 14 oz canned plum tomatoes, chopped or sieved
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and black pepper
- Soak the rabbit for a couple of hours in cold, slightly salted water.
- Drain and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Brown the bacon in a thick-bottom saucepan in the olive oil.
- Add the rabbit pieces and brown all over before adding the garlic and herbs.
- Sauté for a few more minutes, then add the win allowing it to bubble for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar, season with salt and black pepper and simmer ½ with the lid slightly askew for about 1½ hrs.
- If the sauce gets too thick during cooking, add a little more wine.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and a green salad.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.