A popular Indonesian and Malaysian side dish made with a variety of vegetables simmered in a milk coconut milk curry.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons galangal or fresh ginger, minced
- 1 – 3 chile peppers, sliced into rounds
- 1 piece lemongrass, white part of stalk only, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup napa cabbage, chopped
- 2 – 3 scallions, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok over medium flame.
- Add the garlic, galangal or ginger, chiles, lemongrass, coriander and turmeric and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, potatoes, carrots, green beans and onion and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are almost cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in the add cabbage, scallions, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the cabbage is just tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.