This is from a great Cajun Cookbook that a friend loaned to me as well as many other that I have posted on here. I hope that you enjoy them. I love this kind of food.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cups chopped scallions
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped (about ½ lb)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup milk (skip this one for vegetarians)
- 1 cup heavy cream or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- white pepper
- Tabasco sauce or other hot pepper sauce
- chopped fresh chives (to garnish)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the Onion and scallions.
- Cover and sweat gently for about 10 minutes or until very soft but not colored.
- Add the potatoes and water and bring to a boil.
- Cover again and simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the milk, cream, lemon juice, and salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce to taste.
- Cover closely and chill well.
- Garnish with chives or scallion tops.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.