Although this soup is called "Turtle Soup", there is not any turtle meat in this soup. What makes this even more confusing is that there is also a Imitatie Schildpadsoep or "Imitation Turtle Soup" that is an imitation of the imitation.
- 2½ liter water
- 1 calf hock or ½ calf's head
- 300 g beef
- 100 g butter
- 100 g flour
- 50 g bacon
- bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- meat drippings or soy sauce
- Leave the beef and hock or calf's head to simmer for 3½ hours in the water, with some salt added to taste.
- Slowly saute the finely chopped bacon with the herbs in the butter.
- Add the flour and leave the flour and butter to brown, but not burn.
- Slowly add the hot stock, bringing the mixture to the boil between adding.
- Leave to simmer for about ½ an hour, pour through a sieve and add the soy or meat drippings.
- Add back the meat stripped off the hock or the calf's head and the beef.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.