Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Servings: 10 scones
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) margarine or butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- ½ cup currants, diced dried mixed fruit, dried cranberries or dried blueberries
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400 °F.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in currants or other dried fruit.
- In small bowl, combine milk and egg; blend well.
- Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. (do not overmix.)
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times.
- Roll or pat dough into 8-inch circle about ½ inch thick.
- Sprinkle with combined remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut into 10 wedges; place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.