This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Partain Estate in Dallas, Texas in 1988.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 5 pounds collard greens
- 2 medium onions chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 jalapenos seeded and minced
- 1 smoked turkey leg about 1½ pounds
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Tear greens into large pieces then wash well in a sink full of cold water then drain well.
- Lift the greens out of the sink and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large pot combine onions, 2 cups water, oil and jalapenos then bring to a boil over high heat then gradually stir in the greens allowing each batch to wilt before adding more greens.
- Bury turkey wing in the simmering greens then season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook stirring occasionally just until the greens are tender.
- Remove turkey wing and discard skin and bones.
- Chop meat and return to pot.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer greens to a serving dish and serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.