This savory pie contains layers of tomatoes, onion, sweet peppers, sausage and mushrooms, topped with a cheese and mayonnaise layer.
- Contributed by Jannicelli at Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Number of servings: 6 – 8 as a side dish, 4 as a main dish
- 1 large frozen pie crust
- 1 or 2 large tomatoes, sliced (enough to cover pie crust bottom)
- 1 vidalia onion
- ¼ to ½ tube of ground sausage
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced or 1 small can sliced
- ¾ cups mayonnaise
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- ½ cup fontinella cheese (shredded)
- 1 scallion or green onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon of flour
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- Method in frying pan saute each of the following ingredients (separately) until tender: onion, peppers, and mushrooms (each item is cooked with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste).
- Set aside each ingredient in small bowl or plate.
- Using same frying pan, crumble and cook sausage with garlic powder only until done; drain grease and set aside.
- Lightly brown frozen pie crust a few minutes in oven 350 to 400 degrees; remove immediately.
- Sprinkle the bottom of pie crust with 1 tablespoon flour then arrange tomato slices over the bottom of crust until the bottom is covered (it's OK if they overlap a little bit).
- Sprinkle remaining flour evenly over tomatoes; season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 1 tsp oregano.
- Now layer cooked peppers, mushroom, onions, and sausage onto pie.
- In a separate bowl mix mayo, cheeses, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder and remaining oregano with a fork; cover the pie with the cheese mixture and sprinkle chopped scallions over the top.
- Bake at 400°F until golden brown (approximately 20 minutes); remove; let cool and cut into slices.
- This can be served cold or hot.
- Notes: you can let the pie cool and refrigerate and serve cold.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.