Contributed by Paula in California via Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 50 pieces.
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Line a 15 x 18 in jelly roll pan with waxed paper; set aside.
- Place egg whites in large bowl of electric mixer; set aside.
- In a 2 qt. saucepan combine water, corn syrup, and sugars.
- Place over high heat and stir with wooden spoon until mixture comes to a boil.
- If sugar crystals are present wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush.
- Clip on candy thermometer.
- Cook to 252°F (125°C) or hard ball stage.
- Remove from heat.
- Immediately beat egg whites until stiff.
- With mixer on high speed, slowly add hot syrup; once you begin to pour do not stop.
- Continue beating until mixture begins to lose its gloss and will hold its shape.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Scrape entire batch onto waxed paper lined pan or, using two spoons, quickly spoon candy onto waxed paper.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.