Seafood Stew from National Diabetes Program Recipe and Meal Planner Guide, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: About 45 minutes
- Serves: 10
- 6 cups water
- 10 oz. white wine
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 pound large shrimp, washed
- 1 pound crayfish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 pound sea bass, cut into chunks
- 1 pound small squid, cleaned and sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, non-aluminum saucepan, stir together the water, white wine, celery, and carrots. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and crayfish and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Strain the shellfish and vegetables from the broth and set the broth aside. Peel the crayfish and shrimp and discard the shells.
- Warm the olive oil in the large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and peppers until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme and oregano. Add the reserved broth and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the sea bass and squid and simmer for 2 minutes. Return the crayfish, shrimp and vegetables to the broth and simmer for 1 more minute. Season to taste, ladle into bowls, and serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.