Senator Barb's Favorite Crab Cake Recipe by Senator Barb Mikulski, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Tip: Serve at once with tartar sauce, mustard, or cocktail sauce on the side.
- 1 lb jumbo lump or backfin crab meat
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise (light or regular)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Old Bay or Wye River seasonings
- 1 tbsp snipped parsley (optional)
- 1 egg (or substitute for special diets)
- tartar sauce or cocktail sauce
- Beat the egg in a bowl.
- Trim the crusts from the bread and break the slices into small pieces. Add these pieces to the egg.
- Mix in the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, seasoning and parsley, and beat well.
- Place the crabmeat in a bowl and pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Gently toss or fold the ingredients together, taking care not to break up the lumps of crabmeat.
- Form the cakes by hand into patties about 3 inches around and ¾-inch thick. Shape should be like a cookie, not like a meatball or golf ball.
- Place the cakes in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes before cooking. This is very important so the cakes don't fall apart.
To Broil the Crab Cakes Edit
- Slip them under a preheated broiler until nicely browned, turning to cook evenly, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
To Saute the Crab Cakes Edit
- Heat a small amount of butter or olive oil in a skillet and saute the cakes, turning several times, until golden brown or about 8 minutes total cooking time.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.