Home Cookin' Kentucky Recipes from the Office of Senator Mitch McConnell, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 4 to 6
- ½ stick butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups warm milk
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 oz cream, whipped, optional
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- slices of roast turkey (for 4-6 sandwiches)
- 8-12 slices trimmed toast
- extra Parmesan cheese, for topping
- 8-12 strips fried Bacon
- Melt the butter and add enough flour to make a reasonable thick roux, enough to absorb all of the butter.
- Add milk and Parmesan.
- Add egg to thicken sauce, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat. Fold in whipped cream. Add salt and pepper.
- For each Hot Brown:
- Place two slices toast on a metal or flame-proof dish.
- Cover the toast with a liberal amount of turkey.
- Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey and toast.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan.
- Place entire dish under a broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly.
- Remove from broiler, cross two pieces of bacon on top and serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.