- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 green unripe bananas, sliced (in ½-inch rounds)
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon summer savory, (or thyme)
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups canned tomatoes, chopped with juice
- 3 cups vegetable broth, (or water)
- 1 pound fresh, shelled, deveined shrimp
- 1 pound orange roughy, cut up in pieces
- Dissolve salt in enough water to cover sliced bananas.
- Soak for about 15 minutes, then drain them and set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute onions and garlic in 2 tbsp until onions are just translucent.
- Stir in cayenne and summer savory and sauté a few minutes more.
- Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage, parsley, tomatoes and broth.
- Bring the stew to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the bananas, shrimp and (if cooked shrimp was all you could find, add them in last 5 minutes).
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes or until is opaque and shrimp are pink.
- Add more water if stew is too thick.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve over steaming rice.
- Garnish with wedges of lemon or lime.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.