- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 cups pumpkin, winter squash, or sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in chunks
- 4 turnips
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 2 large carrots, cut in chunks
- ½ small head of cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 bunch fresh leafy greens (spinach, chard, etc) or 1 small package frozen greens
- 2 chile peppers or 1 tsp cayenne
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- Brown the onions in hot oil in a large, heavy skillet or stew pot.
- Add the vegetables, one at a time, sauteing each for a minute or so before adding the next.
- Stir in tomato sauce, along with about a cup of water, reduce heat, and simmer until all the vegetables are tender.
- Spoon out about half a cup of the hot broth and mix it with the peanut butte to make a smooth paste.
- Add to the pot, and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.