- 10 eggs, separated
- 1¾ cup sugar (divided use)
- ¼ cup zwieback crumbs or dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ lb blanched almonds, very finely ground
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- ½ lb soft butter
- ¼ cup sliced toasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Beat the egg whites until stiff and gradually beat in one cup of the sugar.
- Fold in the crumbs, lemon rind, and lemon juice.
- Fold in the ground almonds and divide the mixture among four greased nine inch layer pans, lined on the bottom with parchment paper or unglazed brown paper.
- Bake fifteen to twenty minutes, or until layers are faintly browned.
- Cool on a rack.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly.
- Place the yolks and the remaining sugar in the top of a double boiler and cook over hot water until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens.
- Do not allow mixture to boil; it will curdle.
- Remove from the hot water, beat in the chocolate and gradually beat in the butter.
- Refrigerate until mixture is spreading consistency.
- Use to fill and frost the layers.
- Garnish with the sliced almonds.
- Refrigerate until firm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.