- 3 finely chopped medium onions
- 1 tablespoon of freshly ground ginger and garlic
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of cooking salt
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of hot water
- 2 lbs minced lamb or beef
- 6 cups of self-raising flour
- cold water
- Add the cold water to the flour a little at a time.
- Knead the dough for about 4-5 minutes.
- Leave the dough to stand for a while at room temperature.
- Add the hot water, chopped onion, oil, salt and spices to the mince and mix them well.
- Roll out the dough as thin as possible (on a well floured surface) and cut them into 4 inch rounds.
- Put 2 teaspoons of the meat mixture on the round and flatten it down a little.
- Put another round on top and pinch the edges together tightly.
- Deep fry the sha-balé in moderately hot oil (only cook a few at a time).
- Drain thoroughly on kitchen roll.
- Sha-balé can also be shallow fried on a low gas (but remember to fry the mince and onions first).
- Serve the sha-balé hot with chilli sauce.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.