- Ethnicity - Mughlai, North Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 300 gms potato (aloo)
- 4 tbsp cashew nut (kaju) soaked in ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic (lasun)
- ½ tsp black cumin seed (shah jeera)
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 2 chopped onion (pyaj)
- a pinch of turmeric (haldi)
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¼ cup beaten curd (dahi)
- ¼ cup milk
- oil for frying
- Wash potatoes and peel and cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Fry the potatoes to a deep golden brown and keep aside.
- Grind cashew nuts, ginger and garlic to a paste in a grinder.
- Keep this paste aside.
- Heat some of the oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add black cumin and bay leaf.
- Wait for 30 seconds till cumin seeds stop spluttering.
- Add onions and cook on low flame till onions turn soft but do not let them turn brown.
- Add turmeric and garam masala.
- Stir to mix well.
- Add the paste prepared earlier.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add yogurt and stir fry till water evaporates.
- Cook till it dries.
- Add milk and about ½ cup of water to the gravy.
- Boil and simmer for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add the fried potatoes and chopped coriander to the garvy and simmer on low flame.
- Cook on low flame till the gravy thickens and coats all the potatoes.
- Serve hot with nan or paranthas.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.