- 3 tbl corn oil
- 2 lrg (1-1/2 cups) onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 4 cup water
- 2 med potatoes, peeled & cut into 1-in cubes
- 2 lrg carrots, cut into 1-" cubes
- 2 x Ribs celery w/leaves, sliced
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 x egg, beaten
- 2 tbl Fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- There are many occasions in Jewish cooking when a pareve or neutral soup is wanted for dairy occasions or for very hot days. This is a simple soup, full of flavor, is ideal for summer dining or vegetarians any times.
- Heat oil in a soup pan, add onions & 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, & stir-fry over moderate heat for 2 mins. (My Afghan cook believes salt will hasten frying as onions change color.) Add the water, Potato, celery, remaining salt, pepper, & cinnamon & bring to a boil. 2. Simmer soup, covered, for 30 mins. When ready to serve, dribble beaten egg into pan of soup in a circular motion. Sprinkle w/parsley. Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.