A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 29 ounces cooked chicken
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilis, chopped
- ½ cup vegetable oil (for heating tortillas)
- 36 corn tortillas
- 1 (28 ounce) can medium enchilada sauce (homemade or commercial)
- 2 pounds shredded cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray two rectangular pans with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine chicken, chiles, and all spices.
- Pour a small amount of oil in a nonstick pan and heat on high. Heat tortillas on both sides. Repeat until all tortillas are heated, adding oil as necessary.
- After heating, drain each tortilla on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Dip each tortilla in enchilada sauce, shaking off excess.
- Fill tortillas with meat. Roll up and place in pan edge side down.
- Spoon extra sauce on top of enchiladas. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 °F for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and enchiladas are heated thoroughly.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.