Croquettes containing shrimp. In the Netherlands they are known as "garnaalkroketten".
- 1 cup cooked shrimp (or prawn)
- ½ envelope gelatin
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- light cream
- juice of ½ lemon
- chopped parsley
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp salad oil
- dry breadcrumbs
- fat or oil for deep frying
- Wash and drain the shrimps.
- Soak gelatin in some of the cold milk.
- Make a thick sauce of flour, milk and stock and add the shrimps and gelatin.
- Beat the egg yolk with the cream, add the sauce and return to saucepan for thickening, taking care that it does not boil.
- Add lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Spread this mixture onto a shallow dish to cool and set. When set, cut in eight equal parts and form a firm roll of each.
- Roll each in bread crumbs, then in a mixture of beaten egg whites and salad oil and then again in bread crumbs, again in egg white and bread crumbs.
- Fry in hot deep fat (400°F) until golden brown and serve hot, garnished with some sprigs of parsley than have been fried crisp (but not brown) in the same deep fat.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.