If you use shrimp stock for this dish, the shrimp flavor will be incomparably intense.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: How to Cook Everything
- Typed by: Susan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Time: 45 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 to 1¼ lbs shrimp, shells on
- 5 cups shrimp or chicken stock, or water
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 thick slices French or Italian bread
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Peel the shrimp and simmer the shells in a medium saucepan with the stock or water while you continue with the recipe.
- Place the olive oil in a large, deep saucepan or casserole and turn the heat to medium.
- Add the garlic cloves and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are a very deep golden, almost brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
- Turn the heat to low and brown the bread in the oil on both sides, in batches if necessary; it will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove the slices and spread each with about ½ clove of the cooked garlic.
- Mince the remaining garlic.
- Cut each of the shrimp into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Strain the warmed stock into the casserole, turn the heat to medium, and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add the shrimp, cumin, salt, and pepper, and cook over low heat for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Place a piece of bread in each of four bowls, then ladle in a portion of soup with shrimp.
- Sprinkle with the minced garlic, garnish, and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.