Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- Can be Prepared in 45 minutes or Less.
- Makes 48 shrimp toasts
- 4 shallots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg white
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander plus small leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 pound shrimp (about 24), shelled, de-veined if desired
- 12 slices of homemade-type white bread, crusts discarded
- 1 cup fine fresh breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- ¼ cup pickled ginger (available at Asian markets and some specialty foods shops), drained and cut into julienne strips, for garnish
- In a food processor blend the shallots, the garlic, the gingerroot, the sherry, the salt, the sugar, the cornstarch, the egg white, the chopped coriander, and the soy sauce
- Add the shrimp, pulsing the motor, and purée the mixture until it is paste-like but not completely smooth.
- Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of the shrimp mixture on each slice of bread, rounding off the top
- Dip the coated side of each slice in the bread crumbs, shaking off the excess, and cut each slice into 4 triangles. (The shrimp toasts may be prepared up to this point 1 day in advance and kept covered tightly with plastic wrap and chilled.)
- In a large heavy skillet heat 1½ inches of the oil to 360°F and in it fry the shrimp toasts, coated sides down first, in batches, for 1 minute on each side, or until they are golden.
- Let the shrimp toasts drain well on paper towels, garnish each shrimp toast with some of the pickled ginger and 1 of the coriander leaves, and serve the shrimp toasts immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.