- 1 cup of hareese (or cracked wheat or barley)
- ½ chicken
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, grated (optional)
- ¾ cup of cabbage, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup of fresh parsley, cilantro, or coriander, chopped (optional)
- 2 Maggi bouillon cubes (chicken or vegetable flavor)
- 2 teaspoons of ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of zatar flakes (or thyme or oregano flakes)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash and skin the chicken.
- Cut it in half.
- In a large pan, boil the hareese and the chicken in plenty of water, until the hareese is beginning to get tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients.
- Return to a boil.
- Remove the chicken meat from its bones and chop it.
- Add the chicken to the soup.
- Cover and continue boiling until the hareese is well cooked and the vegetables are tender.
- Add water as needed to make the soup the thickness that you like.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.