The wonderful cookbook The Silver Palate has an over-the-top French toast recipe. By using croissants instead of regular bread, and cream instead of milk, it is enough to harden anyone's arteries. This is a slightly healthier version of French toast, still using the Triple Sec and orange zest that gives the Silver Palate recipe its punch.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 5 eggs
- ⅔ cup heavy or whipping cream
- ⅓ cup triple sec
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 8 thick slices of day-old bread, better if slightly stale
- maple syrup
- fresh berries
- Beat eggs and milk together.
- Add the triple sec, orange zest, and cinnamon.
- Whisk until well blended.
- Pour into a shallow bowl.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allowing bread to soak up some of the mixture.
- Melt some butter (or use vegetable oil) over a skillet on medium high heat.
- Add as many slices of bread onto the skillet as will fit at a time.
- Fry until brown on both sides, flipping the bread when necessary.
- Serve hot with butter, maple syrup, and fresh berries.