DescriptionEditIn this healthy curry laksa, a popular Southeast Asian noodle soup, chicken, coconut milk, tomatoes and tons of warm spices make this a flavorful favorite. While there are a lot of ingredients, the leftover soup is even better the next day for lunch.
- 2 cups chopped onions, red, white, or yellow only
- 2 small red or green chiles (such as serrano or jalapeño), seeded if desired and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, light/reduced sodium only
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup diced tomatoes or (1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1 7-ounce package mung bean sprouts
- 8 ounces bean thread noodles
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, thinly sliced
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup coarsely chopped, fresh cilantro
- sriracha or hot sauce, for serving
- lime wedges, for serving
- Put onions, chiles, ginger, garlic, nuts, fish sauce, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, curry powder, turmeric, fennel, and pepper in a blender. Purée until the mixture forms a paste.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Using a spatula, scrape in the paste and cook, stirring, until it starts to color, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth (or stock) and chicken and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer, turning the chicken once or twice, for 10 minutes. Mix with coconut milk, lime juice and soy sauce and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Remove the chicken and shred into bite-size pieces with two forks. Add tofu, tomatoes and bean sprouts to the soup and cook for 2 minutes. Mix with the shredded chicken.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions. To serve, divide the noodles among 8 soup bowls.
- Ladle the soup over them and top with egg slices, scallions and cilantro. Serve with hot sauce and lime wedges, if desired.
Serving Size: 1 ⅔ cup soup & ¾ cup noodles
Servings: 8 bowls
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.