This is a Filipino favorite, made up of pork ear, or jowls, or head and liver. When it comes to pork, serve up a sizzling treat with other meals and top it off by garnishing with other herbs and spices.
- 2 lbs. pork, with ear and jowl
- 1 lb. pork liver
- 1 onion, minced, red, white, or yellow only
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 5 pieces red chili peppers
- ¼ cup red bell pepper
- ¼ cup soy sauce, dark or light only
- 5 teaspoons calamansi
- 1 large egg
- mayonnaise, optional
- Boil pork ear with pepper and salt until tender (tenderness determined if a fork can easily pass through). It takes 1-1.5 hours. Add liver on the last minute of boiling. Avoid overboiling the liver.
- Remove the ear and liver from the water and let it stand for around 30 minutes.
- Place the ear in aluminum-lined tray and broil for 25 minutes. The liver can also be broiled for 10 minutes but make sure not to overdo.
- Chop ears and liver into small pieces with the chef's knife or the cleaver.
- Sauté garlic, onion, bell pepper and red chili pepper; then add the pork ear. Season with soy sauce and calamansi. Add liver and mix.
- Pour into a sizzling plate.
- Top with the fresh egg and mix while still hot. Add mayonnaise, if desired, then serve hot and plain over rice.