Chicken, Consumer Pack (Whole/Bagged), Frozen by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 6
- 1 whole chicken, thawed and washed
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 can (10¾ ounces) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Remove giblets from chicken cavity and reserve for another use.
- Split chicken down the backbone and place chicken, breast side up, in a large oven-proof skillet or baking pan.
- Smear outside with margarine.
- Roast uncovered for 30 minutes, until chicken begins to brown.
- Pour chicken broth and lemon juice around chicken, basting the chicken as you pour.
- Continue to roast 45–60 minutes longer until skin is rich, deep brown, and thermometer registers 180 °F.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.