This salad is only as good as the oranges and the sweetness of the onions used. If the onions you have aren't not so sweet soak them in cold water for about thirty minutes. A little sugar in the water helps too.
- Marinading the onions in 1 part vinegar and 3-4 parts olive oil help take the bite out of lesser quality onions.
Orange salad variations include:
- thinly sliced fresh fennel (I prefer young, tender fennel for this)
- grated fennel (I use this method for older fennel)
- blood oranges
- wild greens and herbs
- pine nuts
- orange flower water (be careful, if you are not used to this it can smell almost cosmetic)
- rosewater (good quality ones actually have a refreshing aroma)
- grated carrots
- honey and cinnamon
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.