Sloppy Garden Joes from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 8
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
- 1 x 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 x 15 oz. can whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1 x 8 oz. can mushrooms
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- Pepper to taste
- 8 whole wheat buns
- Sauté onions, carrot, green pepper and ground turkey or chicken in a pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, barbecue sauce and seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until thick.
- Serve on toasted or plain buns.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.