- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground bison
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Dash bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
1.Heat oven to 350ºF. Combine egg, bread crumbs, ¼ cup of the onion, and the oregano in a large mixing bowl. Add the ground meat and mix well.
2.Shape into 42 meatballs about ¾-inch in diameter. Arrange in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until internal temperature is at least 160°F. Drain well.
3.Meanwhile, cook remaining ¼ cup onion and the green pepper in hot oil in a large saucepan until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, black pepper, garlic salt, and if desired, hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling.4.Add meatballs to sauce. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.