- 2 kilos of aubergines
- 3 kilos of red (longish) peppers
- 2 hot chillies
- 500 ml oil
- 4 teaspoons of salt
- 100 ml vinegar
- Grill halves of the peppers until the skin is blackened. Cut the aubergines in half and pick them with a fork ( to prevent them from exploding) and then grill them as well.
- Place in a bowl while still hot and cover. Leave the vegetables to steam and then remove the skin from the peppers and peel the aubergines (from stem to the bottom).
- Deseed and finely chop the chillies.
- Next step is to mince the vegetables in a machine used for mincing meat (if you have one), but a food processor will do just fine, you only take care not to mince the stuff too smoothly.
- Put the minced vegetables into a thick-bottomed pan, slowly stir in the (olive) oil and salt.
- Bring to the boil and let it simmer gently for at least 1–2 hours, stirring until you achieve a smooth consistency and the oil starts forming small spots/wells on the surface.
- Add the vinegar, check the seasoning. Allow to cool down and enjoy your masterpiece.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.