- 2 Ibs. SMOKED *1/2 Ib. onions
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Ib. FRESH tomatoes
- 4 Tbs. tomato PASTE
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 quart water
- In a 4-quart saucepan saute: 1/2 Ib. onions, thinly sliced in 1/4 cup vegetable oil until soft but not brown.
- Add: 1 Ib. FRESH tomatoes cut in 1-inch pieces, 4 Tbs. tomato PASTE, 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper and 1 quart water.
- Simmer with cover on for 15 minutes.
- Debone 2 Ibs. SMOKED (if smoked Herring is used, soak it for 1 hour to remove excess salt).
- Add the deboned, flaked and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- Correct the Seasoning with salt (if needed) and pepper.
- Add water if necessary to bring to stew consistency.
- Serve with rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.