- 1 small, dried chipotle chile, or ⅛ tsp ground
- 1½ oz smoked dulse
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 2 small bay leaves
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- ¼ cup maple sugar
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1½ cups apple cider
- 2 (8 oz) pkgs. tempeh, each cut cross-wise into 12 thin strips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place chipotle and dulse on baking sheet and toast in oven until crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In food processor, blender or with mortar and pestle, combine chipotle pepper, dulse, garlic powder, coriander, paprika, bay leaves, caraway seeds, maple sugar, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Process to fine powder (you may have to do this in two batches).
- In medium bowl, combine oil, vinegar, molasses and cider. Whisk in spice mixture. Add tempeh to marinade and toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- In large, shallow baking dish, place marinated tempeh in single layer. Bake until marinade is almost completely absorbed, about 40 minutes. Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.