- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 ounces chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup port wine or sherry wine
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, brown sugar, and almonds in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and cut into the flour mixture.
- Add the beaten eggs and red wine and mix dough together vigorously until it can be formed into a ball.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rough circle about 1/4" thick.
- With a cookie cutter, cut the dough into 2" rounds.
- Arrange the rounds about 1" apart on a buttered cookie sheet.
- Continue cutting cookies, then brush each gently with the egg white.
- Bake for 15 minutes- until golden brown.
- Remove to a rack to cool completely.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.