- 1 cup molasses
- ½ cup shortening, melted
- 1¾ teaspoons soda
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- flour (enough to achieve the right consistency)
- First add soda to molasses and beat thoroughly; add milk, shortening, ginger, salt, and flour.
- Enough flour must be used to make mixture of right consistency to drop easily from spoon.
- Let stand several hours in a cold place to thoroughly chill.
- Toss one-half mixture at a time on slightly floured board and roll lightly to one-fourth inch thickness.
- Shape with a round cutter, first dipped in flour.
- Bake on a buttered sheet.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.