- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, in all
- 11/2 pounds Brined cabbage
- 2 small bay leaves, 4 black peppercorns, and 4 all- spice Berries, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 pound cooked Beef
- 1/4 pound cooked tongue
- 6 ounces frankfurters
- 6 ounces lean Ham
- 2 Brined cucumbers
- 6 marinated plums
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 12 black Greek , halved and pitted
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped and sauteed for 7–8 minutes in 1 table- spoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons grated Par- mesan Cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 6 slices lemon
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a heavy 3- to 4-quart saucepan, add the sauerkraut, spice bag, and Sugar, and saute for 15 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally to keep the sauerkraut from sticking to the pan.
- Meanwhile, cut the cooked Beef, tongue, frankfurters, Ham, and pickles into 1/2-inch dice.
- Combine this mixture with the capers and and set aside.
- When the sauerkraut is cooked, discard the spice bag and mix the onions into the sauerkraut.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- Grease a 3- to 4-quart rectangular casserole with 1 tablespoon of butter and spread half the sauerkraut over the bottom.
- Cover with all the diced meats and pickles, then top with remaining sauerkraut.
- Smooth the top, sprinkle with the bread crumbs and grated Cheese, dot with the remaining butter, and bake for 15–20 minutes.
- Cut into 6-8 squares and transfer to individual heated serving plates.
- Smooth the sides and decorate with the chopped scallions, lemon slices, and marinated plums.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.