- two cups flaked coconut
- one-half teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- one teaspoon baking powder
- two cups all-purpose flour
- one cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- one & one-half cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- two eggs, lightly beaten
- two teaspoons vanilla
- one & one-half cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- All ingredients should be allowed to come to room temperature if they have been in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Mix (or sift) together the salt, baking powder, and flour.
- When oven is hot, place the coconut on a cookie sheet and toast until lightly browned (one or two minutes). Remove and let cool.
- Using an electric mixer, mix together the butter and brown sugar. Add the beaten egg bit by bit, mixing well. Add vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture. Mix well with wooden spoon.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips and the toasted coconut.
- Lightly grease (or butter) and flour a 9- x 13-inch cake pan. Spread the batter into the pan. Bake at 350 °F for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven as soon as a sharp knife inserted into the center pulls away clean. Careful not to over-bake. Cool, cut into bars (or squares) and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.