black bean Soup
- 1 lb (450 gr.) black beans. Fresh are best but most likely you’ll find them dried.
- 8 cups (700 ml) chicken broth or water or a mix
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 10-12 sprigs cilantro (coriander leaf) fresh or frozen, not dried!
- 1 small or medium Onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 small green, red, or yellow sweet pepper
- If beans are dried, cover with water and soak overnight, if they are fresh, just rise them off.
- Drain the beans and add water or chicken broth, salt, and half of the chopped ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to very low simmer until beans are nearly soft (~ 2½ hours).
- Add the rest of the chopped ingredients, and vegetable oil, and cook an additional ½ hour.
- Add eggs for the final 2–4 minutes (depending on how you like your eggs cooked).
- Remove about half the beans and reserve for gallo pinto or to mash and refry (you can leave all the beans in but typically some are removed).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.