- 2 tbl butter, soft
- 1 tbl flour, or 1 tb. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh from 3 ears of corn, or 1 1/2 cups thoroughly defrosted frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cup Yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup Munster Cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 x egg, whites
- 3 x egg, yolks
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. With a pastry brush coat the bottom and sides of an 8 1/2 or 9 inch square shallow baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the soft butter, then scatter 1 tablespoon of flour or grated parmesan over the bottom of the dish. Tip the dish from side to side to spread the flour or Cheese evenly on the buttered surfaces and set the dish aside.
- Place the corn in a food processor and puree at high speed. (To puree the corn by hand, force it through a food mill set over a bowl. Discard any pulp left in the mill.) In a large bowl, combine the pureed corn, cornmeal, milk, 1/4 cup olive oil, grated Munster Cheese and salt, and mix thoroughly. NOTE - if a spicy effect is desired, add Cayanne pepper to taste.
- In a heavy 8 to 10 inch skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over moderate heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 or 5 minutes, or until they are soft and transparent but not brown. With a rubber spatula, scrape the onions into the corn and cornmeal mixture. Beat the egg whites with a whisk or a rotary or electric beater until they are firm enough to form unwavering peaks on the beater when it is lifted out of the bowl. Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl until they are thick and lemon colored, then fold them into the egg whites. Gently but thoroughly fold the combined eggs into the corn mixture, then pour it into the prepared baking dish. Dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of soft butter. Bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.